Tom Lane wrote:
Personally I'll still be on the hook for maintaining 8.1 in RHEL5
so I'd be just as happy to keep it alive a bit longer, but if the
community doesn't want to deal with it that makes perfect sense.
Some people consider the extended support and easy upgrades of the RHEL5 versions valuable enough that they have a strong preference to use the version of PostgreSQL that ships with it. Right now, when such people ask me about using 8.1 in that context, I tell them while it would be better if they ran something more recent, the performance of that version is reasonable and the bugs they might run into aren't that serious. This is not the case at all for either 7.4 or 8.0, which have been completely indefensible as versions to consider deploying for quite some time already.

g...@2ndquadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com