* Stephen Frost (sfr...@snowman.net) wrote:
> * Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > I assume he's talking about the object reference representation used in
> > pg_depend, which is actually class OID + object OID + sub-object ID.
> > The only object type that has sub-objects at the moment is tables,
> > wherein the sub-objects are columns and the sub-object IDs are column
> > numbers.  The sub-object ID is zero for all other cases.
>
> You're right, of course, but for some reason I thought that there was
> another usage of it besides just the table/column case.

Ah, I realize what I was thinking about now..  The dependency system has
two flavors (pg_depend and pg_shdepend).  We had SubIDs for columns in
pg_depend but not pg_shdepend- until column-level privs were added which
meant we could have roles depend on columns (due to privileges on that
column).  To clarify- pg_depend is for database dependencies while
pg_shdepend is for cluster dependencies.

        Thanks,

                Stephen