Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Good point.  Using catversion for the purpose seems a bit ugly but
>>> I have no better ideas.
>>
>> I thought we had rejected the idea of being able to migrate between
>> alphas.  Is migrating between major versions not difficult enough?

> We like a challenge.

The problem with using just major version there is that then we are
*wiring into the on-disk representation* the assumption that pg_migrator
only goes from one major version to the next.  I agree that we're not
likely to start supporting cross-alpha-version migration any time soon,
but I don't think it's wise to foreclose the possibility of ever doing
it.