Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> > <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I thought we had rejected the idea of being able to migrate between
> >> alphas. ?Is migrating between major versions not difficult enough?
>
> > We like a challenge.
>
> The problem with using just major version there is that then we are
> *wiring into the on-disk representation* the assumption that pg_migrator
> only goes from one major version to the next.  I agree that we're not
> likely to start supporting cross-alpha-version migration any time soon,
> but I don't think it's wise to foreclose the possibility of ever doing
> it.

I know people are trying to make things easier on pg_migrator, but
frankly going from alpha to alpha does not require any new code in
pg_migrator.  And pg_migrator already supports cross-alpha-version
migration just using the existing code --- no new code was added to
enable this.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us