Hi,

Nicolas Barbier wrote:
> The specifics of relation databases can be entirely ignored in case
> serializability is provided on the "page layer" level.

Aha, I now see very vaguely how that could work, yes. Thank you for
elaborating on this. I agree that this isn't the best way forward for
Postgres.

>> As this seems to be an optimization of predicate locking, don't we need
>> to implement that first?
>
> Whole-table locking is a trivial implementation of predicate locking.

..and whole-database locking is a trivial implementation of true
serializability. In a way, both are optimizations of that trivial
implementation. My point is that due to that dependency, the conceptual
design of a solution for predicate locking (with acceptable performance)
should at least be considered before going into details with true
serializability.

Regards

Markus Wanner