On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Andrew Chernow wrote:

Although, I think Dave's comments have made me change my mind about this patch. Looks like it serves a good purpose. That said, there is no guarentee the driver will implement the new feature ... JDBC seems to lack the ability to get the backing Socket object but java can set socket options. Maybe a JDBC kong fu master knows how to do this.

Use the tcpKeepAlive connection option as described here:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/84/connect.html#connection-parameters

Java can only enable/disable keep alives, it can't set the desired timeout.

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html#setKeepAlive%28boolean%29

Kris Jurka