On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> Sounds rather unlikely to me. Its likely handled at an upper layer (vfs in
> linux' case) and only overloaded when an optimized implementation is
> available.
> Which os do you see implementing that only on a part of the filesystems?

I have a Windows XP dev machine, which runs virtualbox, which runs
ubuntu, which mounts a windows directory through vboxfs

fsync does error out on directories inside that mount.

btw: 8.4.2 initdb won`t work there too, So this is not a regression.
The error is:
DEBUG:  creating and filling new WAL file
LOG:  could not link file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.2367" to
"pg_xlog/000000010000000000000000" (initialization of log file 0,
segment 0): Operation not permitted
FATAL:  could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000000" (log
file 0, segment 0): No such file or directory

But I would not be that sure that eg. NFS or something like that won`t complain.

Ignoring the return code seems the right choice.

Greetings
Marcin Mańk