Greg Stark wrote:
Eh? That's not what I meant at all. Actually it's kind of the exact
opposite of what I meant.

Sorry about that--I think we just hit one of those language usage drift bits of confusion. "Sit in the corner" has a very negative tone to it in US English and I interpreted your message badly as a result. A Google search for images using that phrase will quickly show you what I mean.

What I meant was that your description of the "High Availability first
and foremost" is only one possible use case. Simon in the past
expressed the same single-minded focus on that use case. It's a
perfectly valid use case and I would probably agree if we had to
choose just one it would be the most important.

Sure, there are certainly others, and as much as possible more flexibility here is a good thing. What I was suggesting is that if the only good way to handle long-running queries has no choice but to sacrifice high-availability, which is is the situation if max_standby_delay is the approach you use, then the most obvious users for this feature are not being well served by that situation. I would guess a large portion of the users looking forward to Hot Standby are in the "have an underutilized high-availability standby I'd like to use for offloading long running reports", and if there is no way to serve them well this feature is missing the mark a bit. You really can't do any better without better master/standby integration though, and as pointed out a couple of times here that was considered and just not followed through on yet. I'm increasingly concerned that nothing else will really do though.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us