Thanks for your answers.

To speak frankly:

* I wrote the Drupal guide for porting from MySQL to PostgreSQL.

* I am also the author of remarks about people should use PostgreSQL to
write portable SQL.

* I am very surprised by the SQL level of Php developers. The example
Drupal developers trying to rewrite SQL queries dynamically adding
DISTINCT clause is just an example. So don't expect them to understand
the difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL. It is out of reach. They
focuse on Php code.

* I got banned from Drupal website during 2 days because I opened a bug
complaining about a long running SQL query that moved the whole content
of a 20.000 rows forum into PHP variables just to display 'Previous' and
'Next' links. I had to write Dries Buytaert to get unbanned. Then Prev
and Next features got removed from Drupal. They did not even try to use
SELECT FROM ... LIMIT ... OFFSET to find prev and next records.

* Php developers analyze database performance using PHP cache. They
never read MySQL logging information. I guess they don't have such
information, as on some providers, MySQL is configured without logging
(for ... speed as MySQL configuration states). So they use Php code to
display performance information.

All this is true.

Nevertheless, I feel my explanations are useless. This is like fighting
against the wind.

I believe that PostgreSQL should support more MySQLisms in order to BEAT
MySQL.

Feel free to use my guide on Drupal website. We have to adapt tools to
people, not the converse.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré