I ended up reinventing the wheel and writing another JSON library:

http://constellationmedia.com/~funsite/static/json-0.0.1.tar.bz2

This is a first release, and it doesn't really have a name besides
"json".  It's very similar to cJSON, except it is (sans unknown bugs)
more reliable, more correct, and cleaner (unless you hate gotos ;-) ).
 It has a simple test suite.  It is not prone to stack overflows, as
it doesn't recurse.  It is strict, requires input to be UTF-8 (it
validates it first) and only outputs UTF-8.  Other than treating
numbers liberally, my implementation only accepts valid JSON code (it
doesn't try to correct anything, even Unicode problems).  It is under
the MIT license.