On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Takahiro Itagaki
<itagaki.takah...@oss.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> Jaime Casanova <ja...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> i migrate a ms sql server database to postgres and was trying some
>> queries from the application to find if everything works right...
>> when i was looking to those queries i found some that has a notation
>> for nvarchar (ej: campo = N'sometext')
>
> Do you have documentation for N'...' literal in SQLServer?
> Does it mean unicode literal? What is the difference from U& literal?
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-syntax-lexical.html

nop, only thing i found is about NVARCHAR:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186939.aspx but it has no
examples about the N'' notation although you can find examples of it
use here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd776381.aspx#BasicSyntax

> PostgreSQL doesn't have nvarchar types (UTF16 in MSSQL), and only
> have mutlti-tyte characters. So I think you can remove N and just
> use "SET client_encoding = UTF8" in the cases.

i don't want to remove it! i'm trying to understand if this is a bug
that will be removed if no i can safely tell my client to not look for
 those queries so it has less work to do for the migration

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Soporte y capacitaciĆ³n de PostgreSQL