On 26/05/10 02:00, Sam Vilain wrote:
Florian Pflug wrote:
On May 25, 2010, at 12:18 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Releasing the newer savepoint will cause the older one to again become
accessible, as the doc says, but rolling back to a savepoint does not
implicitly release it. You'll have to use RELEASE SAVEPOINT for that.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks.

Would changing "Releasing the newer savepoint will cause ... " to "Explicitly releasing the
newer savepoint" or maybe even "Explicitly releasing the newer savepoint with RELEASE SAVEPOINT
will cause ..." make things clearer?

Yes, probably - your misreading matches my misreading of it :-)

+1.

There is another way you can get there - releasing to a savepoint before
the re-used savepoint name will also release the savepoints after it.

ie

    savepoint foo;
    savepoint bar;
    savepoint foo;
    release to savepoint bar;
    release to savepoint foo;

After the first release, the second 'foo' savepoint is gone.  I think
this is a key advantage in saving the old savepoints.

Yep. Do we need to mention that in that notice? I don't think so, it would become really verbose. Florian's wording above seems fine.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas