On 27/05/10 12:39, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
Greg Stark<gsst...@mit.edu>  writes:
Fwiw I like the word "replica" but I don't see an obvious choice of
word to pair it with

I guess it's replica / origin, per choice of Jan Wieck to be found in
our catalogs:

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalog-pg-trigger.html

   tgenabled    char

   Controls in which session_replication_role modes the trigger fires.
   O = trigger fires in "origin" and "local" modes, D = trigger is
   disabled, R = trigger fires in "replica" mode, A = trigger fires
   always.

So that's origin/replica, master/slave, primary/standby, master/standby.

master/standby is my favorite, and I believe we have a rough consensus on that.

I started to search/replace primary -> master, but started to have second thoughts when I got to the section in the docs about standby servers:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/warm-standby.html

Somehow that just doesn't sound as good after s/primary/master, the first sentence in particular. I think the reason is that "master" brings to mind an active connection between the master and standby, while "primary" sounds more loosely-coupled.

Perhaps we should use master/standby when discussing streaming replication, and primary/standby when talking about a standby setup in general, possibly using file-based log shipping. The distinction is quite vague, so we'll have to document both terms as synonyms of each other.

Thoughts?

--
  Heikki Linnakangas