On Sunday 30 May 2010 18:29:31 Greg Stark wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > I read through that thread and couldn't find much discussion of
> > alternative CRC implementations --- we spent all our time on arguing
> > about whether we needed 64-bit CRC or not.
>
> Alright, how about this thread?
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general/71741
>
> This actually sounds like precisely the same algorithm. Perhaps this
> implementation is much better but your tests on the old one showed a
> big difference between smaller and larger data sequences.
I haven't yet had a chance to read the intel paper (I am in the train and
latency is 30s+ and the original link is dead), but I got the sf.net
implementation.

Seeing it I think I might know the reason why it wasn't as much faster as
promised - it introduces ordering constraints by avoiding shifts by using
term2. Not sure though.

Anybody got the implementation by Gurjeet? I couldn't find it online (within
the constraints of the connection).

Greetings,

Andres