Excerpts from Andrew Dunstan's message of jue jun 10 11:26:59 -0400 2010:

> Why are you cloning over http? Here is the best way to clone, which
> seems to be working:
>
>     [and...@sophia ]$ git clone --mirror
>     git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
>     Initialized empty Git repository in /home/andrew/postgresql.git/

In case you're a git-ignorant like me and are wondering why the above
does not produce a usable checkout, the complete recipe is here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20090602162347.gf23...@yugib.highrise.ca
(in short, you need a git clone --reference)

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com>