Tom Lane wrote:
Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> writes:
Currently for hstore, %% returns a flattened array and %# returns a
two-dimensional array.  That means that it makes sense that the operator
which returns an hstore subset should be something based on %, either
%>, %% or just %.

But %% and %# are prefix operators.  Extrapolating from those to an
infix operator seems a bit thin.  Nonetheless, something using % seems
better than something using &, for the other reasons you mention.

I vote for % .

I'd vote for %>, out of those.  Reason: the operator isn't commutative,
in fact left and right inputs aren't even the same datatype, so a glyph
that looks asymmetric seems more natural.

I think this bikeshed is going to be more paint than shed. However, I just wondered about | as the operator. Think of the right hand operand as a filter on the hstore, and a pipe seems to work.

Lots of operators aren't commutative. Arithmetic % for example ;-)

But honestly, I can live with just about anything.

cheers

andrew