Oh,
thanks. I didn't know about index tables not having access to associated toast
values. The index access method is (at least in the textual part) similar to
GIN, however, I needed to do some changes to it. Saving the whole document is
actually only important for vacuum. I think, I will find some workaround to
solve this issue.
However, it is a little bit strange, that I get toasted values (when inserting
from another table) and untoasted values, if I insert items directly. Could
anybody please explain this to me?

Best regards
        Carsten Kropf