On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 12:36 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> I still think that the ability to issue one request and get back a
> series of responses, each of which could be the result of RAISE or a
> SELECT, would be valuable, and would be the best way to implement
> this; but of course it would be totally insane to try to burden
> Simon's proposal with such a requirement.  I was hoping that someone
> had something in the works, close to fruition, which could be set as
> a prerequisite for Simon's feature -- so that it could be done in
> the best possible manner.  The current alternatives of a separate
> request for each related bit of information versus a bunch of text
> lines makes me a bit queasy.  Formated text (XML, YAML, etc.) seems
> worse than either of the above.

Yes, the feature is harder than it first appears, but that's a
reasonable reason for me to do it. But once we have the structures in
place, rattling out a few patches should be easy enough.

The bulk of the code could be very similar to psql and text EXPLAIN.

So I would work on SHOW TABLES first, developing the core facilities
required.

Will come back with a full plan for discussion probably a month from
now.