On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 23:30 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 07/17/2010 04:02 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> >>
> >> Because they encode alot of information in a character- something which
> >> is next to impossible to do in "english".
> >
> > I don't think that "terse" and "powerful" are the same thing. One of my
> > beefs with the backslash commands is that the syntax is not cleanly
> > extensible.  We have S and + as postfix modifiers, and that's fairly
> > comprehensible, but as soon as you think about going much further with it,
> > it starts to seem like alphabet soup.
> >
> > In fact, we're pretty close to alphabet soup already. Without looking at
> > the help, what does \db do?  What are the commands to list casts,
> > conversions, and comments, respectively?  What syntax would you propose for
> > a backslash command to list comments, but only those on a certain object
> > type?  If you don't think we should have a backslash command for that, can
> > you write an SQL query that lists comments on built-in aggregates in less
> > than two minutes?  How many people do you think can do it at all?
> >
> > I think "LIST COMMENTS ON SYSTEM AGGREGATES" would be an epic step forward
> > in usability.
>

> uh oh - that actually sounds like a big step backwards to me - it's
> inventing extremely verbose pseudo english syntax for something that we
> currently do with a trivial and easy to remember backslash command.

By whose estimation?

I hate the backslash commands and I have been using them longer than
most.

I do agree that the above is a bit verbose but it is also blatant as to
what it is.

> Do we really need to invent a completely new language for this?
> Once you extend that syntax to what you are proposing (ie provide a way
> to filter like "LIST COMMENTS ON SYSTEM AGGREGATES WITH NUMERIC INPUT")
> you basically reinvented a query language - ever heard of SQL or QUEL?

Really? Hmmm....

SELECT * FROM (where are system aggregates again?), oh right, pg_proc,
what is the column that tells me it is a system aggregate? -- Do I
filter by namespace?

Oh, crimey, why can't I just type:

SHOW COMMENTS ON SYSTEM AGGREGATES (or LIST)

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor