Magnus Hagander <mag...@hagander.net> writes:
> According to the decision at the developer meeting, the migration to
> git should happen 17-20 Aug. Here's my proposed timeline. This will
> obviously affect development work some, and since the original
> timeline called for us having already released 9.0 buy then ;)

Core is currently talking about exactly when we want to push out
9.0beta5 and/or 9.1alpha1, and the scheduling of the git transition has
to wait on that decision.  I don't think we're going to be ready for it
to begin on Tuesday.  Ignoring the exact timing, this plan sounds good
except for this bit:

> 1. Tuesday evening, around 19:00 central european time, which is 17:00
> GMT or 12:00 EST, I will freeze the current cvs repository. I will do
> this by disabling committer login on that box, so please note that
> this will also make it impossible for committers to do a "cvs update"
> from the authenticated repository.

That's not really going to do, especially since it will also lock out
"cvs log".  I certainly want to do a final update and cvs2cl after the
last commits have happened, and I imagine other people will want that
too.  If there were a way to make the repository read-only that would be
nice, but I think what we're going to need to settle for is relying on
the committers to not do any more commits after the specified time.

I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
changing under you during the data migration.  Perhaps we need an agreed
window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.