With 9.0b4, I am testing the new NOTIFY payload feature. One thing I noticed is
that it seems impossible to differentiate at the receiving end from:

NOTIFY test;

and

NOTIFY test,'';

So, it is impossible to differentiate between a notification with an empty
string payload and a notification without a payload due to the backend protocol
defining the payload as a string. Perhaps a boolean could be added to the
backend protocol to account for this and then "extra" could be set to NULL in
libpq.

This could be handy when converting codebases that use LISTEN/NOTIFY when one
wishes to be warned of "old" NOTIFYs being used without a payload.

Cheers,