On 09/27/2010 11:16 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  wrote:

On 09/27/2010 10:39 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>
wrote:

On 09/27/2010 10:11 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

What should be the value of 'Message-ID for original patch' ?
the URL:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-09/msg01837.php
or the ID: aanlktinw0hl+jqmrtwxc9y2tqhcfhfgfekxyyfygv...@mail.gmail.com

The latter.

Could this perhaps be made clearer on the page, perhaps with an example? It
confused me recently too.

Can you suggest something more specific?

Well, it could say something like:

The Message-ID can be found in the headers of the relevant email to the
pgsql-hackers mailing list, and also in the mailing list archives at
http://archives.postgresql.org. It looks something like this (the format
varies somewhat depending on the sender's Mail User Agent):
aanlktinw0hl+jqmrtwxc9y2tqhcfhfgfekxyyfygv...@mail.gmail.com

That would certainly have given me, and I suspect Gurjeet, enough clue.
Where on the page would you suggest that we put that text?

Following "Enter your comments below. If you wish your comment to reference a message from the mailing list archives, enter the message ID into the space provided." The point is that because the app nicely turns the Message-id into a URL that links to the archives, it's not entirely clear whether the user needs to enter the whole URL or not.

Another way to handle this might be to extract it from an http URL if given one.

It's a minor nit - it didn't seem worth raising at the time, and I only commented when I saw that someone else had the same small confusion I had had.

cheers

andrew