On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Terry Laurenzo <t...@laurenzo.org> wrote:
>    - It is directly iterable without parsing and/or constructing an AST
>    - It is its own representation.  If iterating and you want to tear-off a
> value to be returned or used elsewhere, its a simple buffer copy plus some
> bit twiddling.
>    - It is conceivable that clients already know how to deal with BSON,
> allowing them to work with the internal form directly (ala MongoDB)
>    - It stores a wider range of primitive types than JSON-text.  The most
> important are Date and binary.

When last I looked at that, it appeared to me that what BSON could
represent was a subset of what JSON could represent - in particular,
that it had things like a 32-bit limit on integers, or something along
those lines.  Sounds like it may be neither a superset nor a subset,
in which case I think it's a poor choice for an internal
representation of JSON.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company