On 09.11.2010 15:57, Greg Stark wrote:
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:

We have a comment /* be conservative */ in the function, but I'm not sure
we actually need the MAXALIGN. However, there would be almost no benefits
to keep t_len in small value because we often treat memory in MAXALIGN
unit.

Hmm, the conservatism at that point affects the free space calculations. I'm
not sure if it makes any difference in practice, but I'm also not sure it
doesn't. pd_upper is always MAXALIGNed, but pd_lower is not.

This would be more in line with what the main heap_insert code does:

Doesn't this cause assertion failures in heap_fill_tuple when the data
size isn't what's expected? I guess we never actually use the t_len
for later tuple reconstructions, we just recompute the needed size?

Right, the length from t_len or the item pointer is never passed to heap_fill_tuple.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas