On 09.11.2010 17:14, Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  writes:
On 09.11.2010 11:11, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
We have a comment /* be conservative */ in the function, but I'm not sure
we actually need the MAXALIGN. However, there would be almost no benefits
to keep t_len in small value because we often treat memory in MAXALIGN unit.

Hmm, the conservatism at that point affects the free space calculations.
I'm not sure if it makes any difference in practice, but I'm also not
sure it doesn't. pd_upper is always MAXALIGNed, but pd_lower is not.

I tend to agree with Jeff's original point that the behavior should
match regular tuple insertion exactly.  This isn't about saving space,
because it won't; it's about not confusing readers by doing the same
thing in randomly different ways.  I will also note that the regular
path is FAR better tested than raw_heap_insert.  If there are any bugs
here, it's 1000:1 they're in raw_heap_insert not the regular path.

Agreed. I've committed my patch to make it behave like heap_insert. Thank you, Itagaki, for the easy test case using pageinspect.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas