Circumstances have conspired to leave me with very little time to
work on the SSI patch during the last few weeks.  I'm still convinced
that the work mentioned in this post is necessary to have a
commit-quality patch:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-10/msg01754.php

I also think it's going to be very desirable to convert the conflict
pointers used in the papers (and in the patch so far) to lists, to
eliminate one source of false positives and allow more aggressive
clean-up of transactions.  I we implement the logic from the above
post and *then* convert the pointers to lists, it seems like more
work than implementing the lists first.  Therefore, I'm planning on
doing the lists first.

Anyone who thinks that's a bad idea, please speak up soon, as I'm
starting coding on that today.

There's no way there will be a patch implementing this in time for
the 2010-11 CF.  A couple months ago there were a couple people who
said they'd be willing to look at this between CFs, so I'm hoping
that their schedules still permit them to do that after this
unfortunate delay.

-Kevin