On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Greg Smith <g...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> But if this is generating a lot of log data or adding a lot of
>> overhead, then you have bigger problems anyway:
>>
>> +               elog(DEBUG1, "Unable to forward fsync request, executing
>> directly");
>>

> The argument against this log line even existing is that if the field is
> added to pg_stat_bgwriter, that's probably how you want to monitor this data
> anyway.

I'll remove it if you really want it gone, but personally I think it's
useful to have.  I've more than once had to debug a problem given a
PostgreSQL log file with the debug level cranked up and not a whole
lot else.  Rare events that cause performance to tank are worth
logging, IMHO.

> I started out touching code that called it just "sync", but then crossed to
> other code that called it "fsync", and made the external UI use that name.
>  No objections to sorting that out within my patch so it's consistent.

OK, I'll do that before I commit it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company