Am 05.12.2010 um 11:57 schrieb Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>:

> On 05.12.2010 12:10, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:22, Marc Balmer<m...@msys.ch>  wrote:
>>> I am suggesting adding a function to libpq:
>>>
>>> PGresult *PQvexec(PGconn *conn, const char *fmt, ...);
>>>
>>> It behaves similar to PQexec, but it allows for printf style varargs and
>>
>> How is that not a horrible idea, compared to using PQexecParams()? You
>> have to remember to do all your escaping and things manually, whereas
>> PQexecParams() does it automatically.
>
> A varargs version of PQexecParams() would be handy, though. Imagine being
> able to do:
>
> PQexecVParams("SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE foo = $1 AND bar = $2", foovar,
> barvar);
>
> instead of constructing an array for the variables.

yes, indeed.  while the suggested implementation relies on the caller to do all
escaping (a bad idea...), the ease of use of a printf-like function with the
security of PQexecParam would be nice.

I'd say forget about my first suggestion, I will spend a bit more time on a
better approach.
(and at the same time remove the connection reset code)