Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> my clients have tended to use SELECT FOR UPDATE instead of
> SERIALIZABLE.

If they're not using SERIALIZABLE, this patch will have no impact on
them at all.  If they are using SELECT FOR UPDATE *with*
SERIALIZABLE, everything will function exactly as it is except that
there may be some serialization failures which they weren't getting
before, either from the inevitable (but hopefully minimal) false
positives inherent in the technique or because they missed covering
something.

Since SSI doesn't introduce any blocking, and causes no behavior
changes beyond triggering serialization failures when it seems that
an anomaly may otherwise result, there's really nothing else to go
wrong.

Well, if there are no bugs we've missed in these few thousand lines
of code, that is.  Given the size and complexity of the patch, it'd
be surprising if we've squashed them all just yet.  We've tried....

-Kevin