On Jan 17, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> 1) Forks are 'per relation' but the distinct estimators are 'per
>   column' (or 'per group of columns') so I'm not sure whether the file
>   should contain all the estimators for the table, or if there should
>   be one fork for each estimator. The former is a bit difficult to
>   manage, the latter somehow breaks the current fork naming convention.

Yeah, when I looked at the fork stuff I was disappointed to find out there's
essentially no support for dynamically adding forks. There's two other possible
uses for that I can think of:

- Forks are very possibly a more efficient way to deal with TOAST than having
separate tables. There's a fair amount of overhead we pay for the current setup.
- Dynamic forks would make it possible to do a column-store database, or at
least something approximating one.

Without some research, there's no way to know if either of the above makes
sense; but without dynamic forks we're pretty much dead in the water.

So I wonder what it would take to support dynamically adding forks...
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   j...@nasby.net