Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Aidan Van Dyk <ai...@highrise.ca> wrote:
>> When no sync slave is connected, yes, I want to stop things hard.

> What you're proposing is to fail things earlier than absolutely
> necessary (when they try to XLOG, rather than at commit) but still
> later than what I think Simon is proposing (not even letting them log
> in).

I can't see a reason to disallow login, because read-only transactions
can still run in such a situation --- and, indeed, might be fairly
essential if you need to inspect the database state on the way to fixing
the replication problem.  (Of course, we've already had the discussion
about it being a terrible idea to configure replication from inside the
database, but that doesn't mean there might not be views or status you
would wish to look at.)