On 02/15/2011 08:59 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Tom Lane<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  writes:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Stephen Frost<sfr...@snowman.net>  wrote:
Alright, so, like I said, I really like this feature and would like to
see it included.
Amen to that!
I think the syntax Tom suggested before was FOREACH thingy IN ARRAY
arr rather than just FOREACH thingy IN arr.
Actually, I'm on record as saying the opposite: we shouldn't need to
distinguish the exact data type at the syntax level, so long as the
FOREACH construct is understood to mean "iterate through the members of
the composite object produced by this expression":

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg01579.php

I am not, however, wedded to that position --- if people are happier
with explicit use of ARRAY here, I won't fight hard to get rid of it.

Anyway I'm going to start on this patch next, so last chance for
opinions about the syntax ...
Oh, I was looking at this one:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg01557.php

Anyhoo, forcing the explicit ARRAY keyword in there seems like pretty
cheap future-proofing to me.  YMMV.

If this is the syntax that makes you do things like:

    FOREACH foo IN ARRAY ARRAY[1,2,3]

I have to say I find that pretty darn ugly still.

cheers

andrew