On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 23:26 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> I believe the problem is that the definition of IsOnSyncRepQueue is
>> bogus, so that the loop in SyncRepWaitOnQueue always takes the first
>> branch.
>
> Sorry, don't see that. Jaime/Yeb fix applied.
>
>> It was a little confusing to me setting this up that setting only
>> synchronous_replication did nothing; I had to also set
>> synchronous_standby_names.  We might need a cross-check there.
>
> I'm inclined to make an empty "synchronous_standby_names" mean that any
> standby can become the sync standby. That seems more useful behaviour
> and avoids the need for a cross-check (what exactly would we check??).

Hmm, that is a little surprising but might be reasonable.  My thought
was that we would check that if synchronous_replication=on then
synchronous_standbys must be non-empty.  I think there ought to be
some way for the admin to turn synchronous replication *off* though,
in a way that an individual user cannot override.  How will we do
that?

> Docs changed: git://github.com/simon2ndQuadrant/postgres.git

I'm hoping you're going to post an updated patch once the current rash
of updates is all done.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company