Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hmm.  Personally I do use createdb/dropdb but never createlang/droplang;
>> but I'm well aware that my usage may not be typical.  I'm a bit hesitant
>> to just go and drop these without any warning.  I could see deprecating
>> them for a release or two and then dropping them ... but that doesn't
>> solve the problem of what to do with them in 9.1.

> Well, if we're not going remove them altogether, then my vote would be
> to leave them unchanged (i.e. they'll still emit CREATE LANGUAGE) and
> stick a big deprecation warning on them.  It isn't necessary to have
> every SQL command available as a standalone executable.

On reflection I think it makes no sense at all to leave those tools
issuing CREATE/DROP LANGUAGE.  We want to move people over to managing
languages via extensions, and leaving those tools unchanged will not
serve that goal.  However, I don't mind labeling them as deprecated
and not troubling to point out that they could be used for installing
non-PL extensions.