On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 01:01:05PM -0600, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 03:45:17PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of lun mar 07 15:16:31 -0300
> > 2011:
> >
> > > If we do that then it becomes worth wondering what the -docs
> > > list is for at all.  Maybe we *should* get rid of it; I dunno.
> > > I see your point about how the factual issues involved in a docs
> > > change ought to be vetted on -hackers, but on the other hand the
> > > traffic on -hackers is so high already that I'm not happy about
> > > folding another list with a reasonably distinct charter into it.
> >
> > Searching for doc changes/suggestions is helped tremendously by
> > having them in a separate list.  -1 for merging it with -hackers.
> > I have no opinion on the -hackers crossposting issue as it doesn't
> > affect me at all.
>
> Definitely don't merge. Crossposting, I think, should be reserved
> for significant factual changes to docs of features that are in
> current development, like ... syncrep. :-) Basically, keep docs work
> on docs, but cross-post to hackers when a cross-check is needed.
> Don't routinely crosspost, lest that train hackers to ignore the
> docs posts. After all, we insist that developers of patches submit
> docs: correct documentation is a valid concern for all developers.
>
> Ross P.S. Everyone is aware of the settings for majordomo, so you
> only get one of any crosspost, right?

It's not that simple.  If it were, I wouldn't have been asking for
this in the first place.

Re: docs, I'd actually like to see that list gone, as the separation
of docs from code is one that's actively unhelpful.  We don't have a
separate "docs" team, and we rightly put the responsibility of
documenting changes on the person or people patching them in.

Cheers,
David.
--
David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> http://fetter.org/