From: "Kevin Grittner" <kevin.gritt...@wicourts.gov>
"MauMau" <maumau...@gmail.com> wrote:
Make pg_ctl's -s option suppress informational event logging.

This will ultimately be up to a committer (and I'm not one), but to
me it seems reasonable to back-patch if it is addressed this way.

the PostgreSQL Windows service must be registered by "pg_ctl
register -s" to make use of this patch. However, according to the
current manual, "pg_ctl register" does not take -s option.
Actually, pg_ctl does not refuse to take -s, so this is not a big
problem.

pg_ctl register [-N servicename] [-U username] [-P password]
[-D datadir] [-w] [-t seconds] [-o options]

When you write the patch, be sure to include a fix for the docs
here, please.

I attached a patch to fix this bug. I performed the following tests successfully on Windows Vista (32-bit).

[test case 1]
pg_ctl register -s ...
start PostgreSQL as Windows service from the Control Panel
[result]
The following two messages in question disappeared in event log:

Waiting for server startup...
Server started and accepting connections

[test case 2]
pg_ctl register -s ...
start PostgreSQL not as Windows service (pg_ctl start -w)
[result]
The above messages didn't appear in event log (the same behavior as before)

[test case 3]
pg_ctl register ... (without -s)
start PostgreSQL as Windows service from the Control Panel
[result]
The above messages appeared in event log (the same behavior as before)

[test case 4]
pg_ctl register ... (without -s)
start PostgreSQL not as Windows service (pg_ctl start -w)
[result]
The above messages didn't appear in event log (the same behavior as before)

I wish this will be back-patched in the next minor release.

Regards
MauMau