On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On mån, 2011-05-30 at 21:52 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I have used RT and I found that the
>> web interface was both difficult to use and unwieldly for tickets
>> containing large numbers of messages.  Maybe those those things have
>> been improved, but frankly if RT or Bugzilla is the best we can come
>> up with then I'd rather not have a bug tracker at all.
>
> Given that you have been one of the people calling for a bug tracker,
> and these are the two most widely used systems available, what's wrong
> with them and what else would you suggest?

IIRC, both of them think that you should log into the web interface to
send emails (which, in the case of Bugzilla, don't permit replies),
rather than sending emails that show up in the web interface.  But the
web interface is, at least in RT, also seems to be pretty rudimentary.

Suppose you have a thread with 40 emails in it.  View that thread in
Gmail.  Now view it in RT.  In RT, you will notice that there's no way
to unexpand emails, and all of the data is loaded with the page, so
you sit there for half a minute waiting for everything to load.
There's also no suppression of duplicated or quoted meterial, as Gmail
does.  It's usable, I guess, but it's a long way from
state-of-the-art.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company