On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Kohei KaiGai <kai...@kaigai.gr.jp> wrote:
> Here is two level lookups.
> The first is from object identifiers to security label; it can be boosted
> using syscache mechanism. The second is from security labels to
> access control decision; it can be boosted using userspace avc.

OK.  Let's have two separate patches, then.

Thinking a bit more about the issue of adding a syscache, I suspect
it's probably OK to use that mechanism rather than inventing something
more complicated that can kick out entries on an LRU basis.  Even if
you accessed a few tens of thousands of entries, the cache shouldn't
grow to more than a few megabytes.  And that's presumably going to be
rare, and could happen with other types of objects (such as tables)
using the existing system caches.  So I guess it's probably premature
optimization to worry about the issue now.

I would, however, like to see some performance results indicating how
much the cache helps, and how much memory it eats up in the process.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company