Greg Smith wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 06:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > As far as Greg's proposal is concerned, I don't see how a proposed
> > addition of two columns would justify renaming an existing column.
> > Additions should not break any sanely-implemented application, but
> > renamings certainly will.
> >

> It's not so much justification as something that makes the inevitable
> complaints easier to stomach, in terms of not leaving a really bad taste
> in the user's mouth.  My thinking is that if we're going to mess with
> pg_stat_activity in a way that breaks something, I'd like to see it
> completely refactored for better usability in the process.  If code
> breaks and the resulting investigation by the admin highlights something
> new, that offsets some of the bad user experience resulting from the
> breakage.
>
> Also, I haven't fully worked whether it makes sense to really change
> what current_query means if the idle/transaction component of it gets
> moved to another column.  Would it be better to set current_query to
> null if you are idle, rather than the way it's currently overloaded with
> text in that case?  I don't like the way this view works at all, but I'm
> not sure the best way to change it.  Just changing procpid wouldn't be
> the only thing on the list though.

Agreed on moving '<IDLE>' and '<IDLE> in transaction' into separate
fields.  If I had thought of it I would have done it that way years ago.
(At least I think it was me.)  Using angle brackets to put magic values
in that field was clearly wrong.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us