On 06/14/2011 06:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
As far as Greg's proposal is concerned, I don't see how a proposed
addition of two columns would justify renaming an existing column.
Additions should not break any sanely-implemented application, but
renamings certainly will.

It's not so much justification as something that makes the inevitable complaints easier to stomach, in terms of not leaving a really bad taste in the user's mouth. My thinking is that if we're going to mess with pg_stat_activity in a way that breaks something, I'd like to see it completely refactored for better usability in the process. If code breaks and the resulting investigation by the admin highlights something new, that offsets some of the bad user experience resulting from the breakage.

Also, I haven't fully worked whether it makes sense to really change what current_query means if the idle/transaction component of it gets moved to another column. Would it be better to set current_query to null if you are idle, rather than the way it's currently overloaded with text in that case? I don't like the way this view works at all, but I'm not sure the best way to change it. Just changing procpid wouldn't be the only thing on the list though.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD