Dan Ports <d...@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Note that this hadn't been a reasonable option until last week
> when we added the check for non-MVCC snapshots, since there are
> lots of things that use heap scans but SeqScan is the only
> (currently-existing) one we want to lock.

That is the sort of thing that I tended to notice going through the
backtraces from heap access I mentioned in another post, and is most
likely the reason the call landed where it did.  The MVCC snapshot
tests are then a game-changer.  It would be nice to find a way not
to acquire the relation lock if the node is never used, though.

> I am rather uneasy about making changes here unless we can be
> absolutely certain they're right...

Yeah....

-Kevin