2011/7/15 Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkw...@catalyst.net.nz>:
> On 15/07/11 14:57, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we could add more info regarding current usage and requested
>> amount in addition to the temp file limit value. I mean something
>> like:
>>
>> ERROR:  aborting due to exceeding temp file limit. Current usage 9000kB,
>> requested size 1024kB, thus it will exceed temp file limit 10000kB.
>>

> I modeled the original message on what happens when statement timeout is
> exceeded, which doesn't state its limit in the error message at all -
> actually I did wonder if there is was informal standard for *not* stating
> the value of the limit that is being exceeded! However, I agree with you and
> think it makes sense to include it here. I wonder if the additional detail
> you are suggesting above might be better added to a HINT - what do you
> think? If it is a better idea to just add it in the message as above I can
> certainly do that.

Remember that what will happens is probably:

ERROR:  aborting due to exceeding temp file limit. Current usage 8000kB,
requested size 8008kB, thus it will exceed temp file limit 8kB.

because temp file are increased by 8kb at once, rarely more (and by
rare I mean that it can happens via an extension or in the future, not
with current core postgresql).

This kind of message can also trouble the DBA by suggesting that the
query doesn't need more than what was asking at this moment.

That's being said I have no strong opinion for the HINT message if the
documentation is clear enough to not confuse DBA.