On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Why not just:
>
>> SHLIB_LINK = -lselinux
>
> I wouldn't have any particular objection to that (although I think it's
> supposed to be += here).

Oh, right.

> I don't see that any of the other changes
> Kaigai proposed are helpful, though.

I was coming to the same conclusion.  I sort of liked his idea of
sticking a conditional #error directive in the header files to make it
more clear why it was failing.  But on closer examination there's
really no benefit: it gets lost in a sea of other failures, and if you
have to look through the failure messages anyway you may as well
notice that the #include of <selinux/selinux.h> failed as anything
else.  So I think changing that line to link with libselinux
unconditionally is about as well as we can do.

>> Similarly, in the case of xml2 we have:
>
>> SHLIB_LINK += $(filter -lxslt, $(LIBS)) $(filter -lxml2, $(LIBS))
>
>> For xslt, it probably makes sense to filter it out if it wasn't found,
>> because the code has ifdefs for USE_XSLT that do something sensible if
>> the library is not there.  But I fail to see what the point is of
>> filtering out xml2, because surely we're doomed if that's not there...
>> or am I confused?
>
> Hmm.  I think it's just that way to make the code look parallel for both
> libraries.  But I can see potential value in making -lxml2 unconditional
> --- as you say, that would result in a link failure instead of a
> silently broken library.

Right.

--
Robert Haas