On Aug 26, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I knew there would be some bike-shedding about how we specify these things,
> which is why I haven't written docs yet.

While we're debating what shade of yellow to paint the shed...

My actual use case is to be able to be able to "inject" SQL into a
SQL-formatted dump either pre- or post-data (I'm on 8.3, so I don't actually
dump any data; I'm *mostly* emulating the ability to dump data on just certain
tables).

So for what I'm doing, the ideal interface would be a way to tell pg_dump "When
you're done dumping all table structures but before you get to any constraints,
please run $COMMAND and inject it's output into the dump output." For some of
the data obfuscation we're doing it would be easiest if $COMMAND was a perl
script instead of SQL, but we could probably convert it.

Of course, many other folks actually need the ability to just spit out specific
portions of the dump; I'm hoping we can come up with something that supports
both concepts.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   j...@nasby.net