On 09/21/2011 10:50 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
The other question that I'm going to be asking is whether it's not
possible to get most of the same improvement with a much smaller code
footprint.  I continue to suspect that getting rid of the SQL function
impedance-match layer (myFunctionCall2Coll etc) would provide most of
whatever gain is to be had here, without nearly as large a cost in code
size and maintainability, and with the extra benefit that the speedup
would also be available to non-core datatypes.

Can we get a patch so we can do benchmarks on this?

cheers

andrew