On 10/12/2011 04:39 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 12.10.2011 10:58, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
On 10/12/2011 09:53 AM, Martin Pitt wrote:
Hello all,

In https://launchpad.net/bugs/835502 it was reported that the 9.1.1
contrib *.sql files contain the token "MODULE_PATHNAME", which is
unknown:

   psql test<  /usr/share/postgresql/9.1/extension/intarray--1.0.sql

This fails with a ton of errors about the file "MODULE_PATHNAME" not
existing.

When I replace this with "$libdir/_int", it works:

sed 's!MODULE_PATHNAME!$libdir/_int!g' /usr/share/postgresql/9.1/extension/intarray--1.0.sql | psql test

Is that something I'm doing wrong in the packaging, or should the
contrib Makefiles be fixed to do this substitution?

It doesn't only affect intarray, but pretty much all *.sql files.

uh - the reason is that contrib is now packaged as extensions and that
you are supposed to use "CREATE EXTENSION intarray;" on the SQL level
instead of manually loading sql-scripts through psql.

9.1 has been out for only a couple of months, and we've seen a lot of people trying to do that already. In hindsight, we probably should've chosen a different filename extension for those files, to make it clear that you can't just run them in psql. It's too late for that, but a comment at the top of the .sql files would be good:

I've made this mistake myself in an unthinking moment. I suggest that we deprecate calling them something.sql and add code ASAP providing for some other suffix ( .xtn ?) with legacy support for falling back to .sql. I'd almost be inclined to backpatch it while there are so few third party extensions out there.

cheers

andrew