Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> *shrug* ok. Another thought I had was to have the file raise an error
> and have that filtered out by the extension mechanism. But I'm not sure
> if it's worth the trouble.

Hmm ...

\echo You should use CREATE EXTENSION foo to load this file!

and teach CREATE EXTENSION to drop any line beginning with \echo?
The latter part seems easy enough, but I'm not quite sure about the
wording or placement of the \echo command.  Putting it at the top
feels natural but the message might scroll offscreen due to errors...