Robert Haas wrote:

> >> Urp. ?But that means that if someone has any data in that database,
> >> pg_upgrade will basically eat it. ?That does not seem like a step
> >> forward.
> >
> > Please clarify? ?We already check that all the new cluster databases are
> > empty, so we are effectively skipping the transfering of files into
> > empty new cluster databases. ?It processes all old cluster databases and
> > forces a new cluster match --- it is only empty new cluster database
> > that are being skipped.
>
> Aren't you saying that if a postgres database exists in the old
> database (and potentially contains data) but is missing in the new
> database, we'll just fail to migrate it?

No, the reverse.  If the 'postgres' database exists in the new cluster,
but not in the old, we allow it to upgrade (we skip over the 'postgres'
database in the new cluster use the loop in the patch).

Unless I am missing something.  Did you see something odd in the patch
or in my wording?

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us