On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:

>> > I wonder if we should bother using a flag for this. ?No one has asked
>> > for one, and the new code to conditionally connect to databases should
>> > function fine for most use cases.
>>
>> True, but OTOH we have such a flag for pg_dumpall, and I've already
>> done the work.
>
> Well, every user-visible API option has a cost, and I am not sure there
> is enough usefulness to overcome the cost of this.

I am not sure why you think this is worth the time it takes to argue
about it, but if you want to whack the patch around or just forget the
whole thing, go ahead.  The difference between what you're proposing
and what I'm proposing is about 25 lines of code, so it hardly needs
an acre of justification.  To me, making the tools consistent with
each other and not dependent on the user's choice of database names is
worth the tiny amount of code it takes to make that happen.

> Also, if we are going to add this flag, we should have pg_dumpall use it
> too and just depricate the old options.

I thought about that, but couldn't think of a compelling reason to
break backward compatibility.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company