On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Joshua Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> I consider contrib/isn to be quite broken. It hard codes ISBN
>> prefixes
>> for the purposes of sanitising ISBNs, even though their assignment is
>> actually controlled by a decentralised body of regional authorities.
>> I'd vote for kicking it out of contrib.
>
> Submit a patch to fix it then.

It's not fixable.  The ISBN datatype is the equivalent of having an
SSN datatype that only allows SSNs that have actually been assigned to
a US citizen.

> I use ISBN in 2 projects, and it's working fine for me.  I'll strongly resist
> any attempt to "kick it out".

That's exactly why contrib is a random amalgamation of really useful
stuff and utter crap: people feel justified in defending the continued
existence of the crap on the sole basis that it's useful to them
personally.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company